Bone mineral density (BMD) measurement is a test that measures the amount of calcium in certain bones, it assess the severity of osteoporosis and can estimate the risk for fracture. BMD is also referred to as bone density. This test is easy, fast, painless and non-invasive. A BMD may be recommended for the following reasons:
- If an X-ray shows low bone mass (osteopenia) or possibly osteoporosis
- Women who experience early menopause
- Women over age 65
- A family history of osteoporosis
- Post-menopausal women who sustain a fracture
- Patients who take steroids regularly
Precautions:X-ray is used for this study so you should inform the technologist if there is any possibility you may be pregnant. DEXA scan cannot be performed within ten days of oral or IV contrast.
Preparation:No calcium, multi vitamin, or vitamin D 24 hours prior to exam and it can be performed in street clothing. Patients lie on a comfortable table for approximately 20 minutes. After the study a radiologist will prepare a report for your physician which will be forwarded to his or her office.